Although plaster bandage is a good material to use when molding a mask so is papier-mâché and clay. Each material will bring a special quality to the process; however; this article will be about plaster bandage mask molding because the material dries quickly. An entire lesson can be completed within one hour.
- plastic mask mold
- plastic bowl for water
- plaster bandages
- protective plastic sheet
- other materials such as glitter, foil paper, cloth (whatever takes your fancy)
- oil pastels
- felt tipped pens
- lay the protective sheet out on the working surface
- arrange the materials to be used
- dampen the strips of plaster and criss cross over the mask
- pat them down
- layer three layers for strength
- be sure to compress into grooves so that the shape of the mold is picked up
- place aside to dry
- while drying – draw a mask design with oil pastels on a sheet that will hold the approximate shape
- when the design is nutted out, give an under coat of paint to the mask in the most predominant colour; this will serve as a background
- embellish the drawing with patterns and detail while you wait for that coat to dry
- once dry – paint the design onto this background
- adhere any collage to the mask you like
Ask the students
- how the mask evolved
- which parts of the exercise were hard and what worked well for them
- to comment in a positive way about each others work
- whether this exercise has caused them to want to conduct a personal inquiry into meaning or an exploration into an artistic area
- talk about the history of mask making
Artistic explorations can inquire into areas that are many and varied.
- Historical. Mask making evolution
- Cultural Kinds of masks predominate in which cultures and why?
- Emotional Why do people wear masks? What are masks for?
- Technical Materials can be explored with regard to their scientific properties
- Aesthetic Are masks only made to wear?
- sculptural skills and sensitivities
- drawing practice
- understanding of colour and its meaning
- appraisal : speaking and listening